Re: Capacitance of toroids

Hi Adriano,

It is a complex problem. It depends on the coil dimensions and even some on the size of the room the coil is in. But there is a program here that does it to within about 3%:

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Programs/E-Tesla6.zip

It finds the capacitance be working out all the electrostatic fields and such:

http://hot-streamer.com/andrewb/

This is the original DOS based program, but it still runs fine under Windows too. there are text files in the zip that tell how it works.

There is also an on-line JAVA program here that can do it:

http://www.classictesla.com/fantc/fantc.html

http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html

I have a coil a tune by raising or lowering the top terminal and it works very well. But you do have to get it set up right to begin with to be sure it will tune in the range you need. The above program will help a lot there.

Cheers,

        Terry