RE: Disassembling transformers

Original poster: "Dave Halliday" <dh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Richard Quick suggested freezing but then running the transformer with a
short across the HV output for an hour or two.  This will warm the core
enough so that the chunks of frozen tar can be pulled away without
damaging the windings.

He used kerosene (a lot less dangerous) and mentioned that the
tar-kerosene mixture was an excellent sealer for asphalt driveways if
you have one.

Dave