RE: spark gap/ primary coil

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

A PVC tube is usually used simply because it's easier to efficiently
couple the air from a circular fan to a circular tube.

Hmmm, 6000kV, or 6MV, from a 22" long secondary?  How much did you pay
for those plans ;-)

Don't use coax cable for a primary conductor.  Stranded, and in
particular braided conductors are very lossy due to skin effect.  Yes it
seems counter-intuitive since there would appear to be MORE surface area
in a stranded conductor, but the problem is that the current only wants
to travel on the OUTER strands, and will attempt to flow from inner to
outer strands to do so, through whatever high resistance tin plating and
surface oxides it encounters.  50 feet of refrigeration tubing should
cost nowhere near $100, but if it's still too rich for your budget, just
use #12 solid wire from Home Depot.

The ease of tapping 1/4" copper tubing is probably the best reason to
use it.  It also will look a lot better and hold its shape better than
50 feet of wiggly stripped copper wire.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA