Re: spark gap/ primary coil

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the list and to coiling ;^) First of all, you are NOT
going to be delveloping 6000 kV (that's 6 megavolts!) with your
coil nor is anyone else on this list for that matter! 600 kV would
be a closer guestimate although that's still probably high by a fac-
tor of 2 or 3 for an average sized NST driven, spark gap coil.
The alternating currents in the tens or hundreds of kHz can pro-
duce spark lengths vs voltage that are much higher than the
standard DC sphere spark vs voltage rating.

The 1/4" copper tubing should not be that expensive at your
local home improvement store's (Home Depot or Lowes) plumb-
ing department. I would think that you should be able to obtain
(2) 50 ft rolls of it for under $50. I think most knowlegable coil-
ers are going to tell you that coax cable is NOT a good choice
for the primary coil conductor. In operation, it will carry some
very high peak currents (in the hundreds of amps) and the fine
outer braiding of standard coax cable is not suitable for carrying
these immense currents. OTOH, copper tubing is indeed well
suited for this purpose and is the usual conductor of choice for
most coilers' primary coils. Also, as you said, the bare copper
tubing renders multiple tuning much simper than with insulated
wire.

Good luck with your coil,
David Rieben