Re: how deep do the coilers prefer doing it? : )

Hi Dmitry

At 10:31 AM 2/27/2006, you wrote:
Hallo Terry,

Sunday, February 26, 2006, 1:43:06 AM, you wrote:

> Original poster: Vardan <vardan01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>my motor is sync now starting from 180v, and at 220v it draws 0.31a -
>>still not 0.35a - i don`t know why, maybe something is really wrong
>>here % )

> If it works don't worry about it ;-)  Perhaps in the case of my 1800
> RPM motors (four flats on rotor) there is more metal taken off that
> raised the current more.  As John says, one might not have to take
> off all that much metal to make it since too.  I ground mine way down
> like the old instructions said.

John has been talking about 0.333 of rotor diameter in case of 3000rpm, but
i cut 0.4 already and plan to go even further - just want to see what
would happen next : D

>>i have a couple of questions regarding motor torque - how much is the
>>braking torque when you just plug motor in and it is trying to start
>>rotate rsg wheel? is it equal to the moment of inertia of wheel?
>>when a wheel is achieved the full sync speed, is braking torque drops
>>to zero? then we really don`t need those horse powers.

> I "think" it is the torque where the motor starts to dramatically
> loose speed.  As the load on the motor is increased, it starts to
> slip more and more, but there is a sudden point where the speed drops
> off.  Basically the maximum torque the motor can put out before the
> speed falls way off.

you are talkin about loading on motor at full speed, but i`ve asked about
the moment when motor is trying to start, coz i "think" that there is
_zero_ load at full speed - am i wrong?

The rotor is fighting wind drag and bearing drag. Probably not a big deal unless you are spinning big electrodes in the wind ;-)

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/BigCoil/Rgap.jpg

For a sync gap, the point where sync is lost is probably the most concern to us. As the rotor is cut down, it looses torque. So people tend to use fairly large motors so there is enough torque left after the sync modification. There is not too much known about this other than what the original Zip file and John Freau have found.

Cheers,

        Terry

-----
Let the bass kick! =:-D