Re: Bleeder Resistors

It's not necessary because the caps don't seem to hold a charge, perhaps leakage current or something.

In the over 45 years I have been building and playing with TCs I have never once ever ran across a cap that retained a charge on AC. Maybe I was just lucky!!

Also, in all the coils we have supplied to museums over the past 30 years, non of them ever had any bleeder resistors and no one has ever been shocked by the cap.

DC

Dr. Resonance

Can someone explain to me why this is not necessary?

I don't see why the tank cap seems to always be 'empty' (haven't actually
measured voltage for fear of zapping another meter) after a run.  If the
car was raised to almost-breakdown in the spark gap, shouldn't it stay
charged some of the times?

Justin