Re: A question of coupling

Hi Curt,

The coupling will be maximum when the primary is center to the secondary. As the primary is moved away from the center toward one of the ends of the coil (either end), the coupling will decrease. As the primary is moved even further below or above the primary (perpendicular), the coupling continues to decrease.

This occurs because mutual inductance is greatest when the coils are at their closest proximity, which for a 2 coil Tesla configuration is when the primary is centered to the secondary.

As to your specific question:
Let's say you start with a config where bottom pri = bottom sec (as you mention). You will have "some" coupling value. As you move the primary up the coil, the coupling increases. When the primary is center to the secondary, it will be maxed out. As you go past center, the coupling will begin to fall as you near the top end.

Your friend is wrong. Prove it to him (measure it).

I drew up a well known measurement technique and put up here (since my ascii art sucks).

<http://www.classictesla.com/download/M_and_k_Measurement.gif>http://www.classictesla.com/download/M_and_k_Measurement.gif

Maximum coupling is a point I need to know for the program, it is not "best" for obvious reasons. For a program, I need to know when to stop raising the the primary to achieve a coilers "desired" coupling. Imagine if someone put in a coupling value of 1 and the max possible was say only .25, well, obviously, I need to know when to stop. This is "my" purpose for realizing and identifying a geometry's maximum possible coupling.

Your primary is well below the secondary. As you raise it (small 1/4" to 1/2" increments), your coupling "will" increase. Because it is helical, it will have a significant effect on coupling due to it's geometric relationship with the secondary. Probably sooner than later, you will begin to notice periodic racing sparks. As soon as that begins, you should try to retune before adjusting the primary back down (to maximize performance). The primary itself will change the secondary resonant frequency slightly, so retuning may improve the racing spark problems and allow a higher k.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "C. Sibley" <mailto:a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx><a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>

Mine is a solenoid (helical) primary.  Back to the
original question, if the secondary starts below the
botton of the primary, does that increase coupling,
and would it help comphensate for the loose coupling
die to the oversize primary?  According to JAVATC it
does, but my friend insists that I would get less
coupling...