Re: Newbie cap and topload questions

Original poster: jvillecheesehead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I noticed I made a typo in my NST specs, it is 30mA, not 20.  I actually
had been going off the resonant cap frequency and didn't realize the LTR
value was what is recommended and this happened to be the same as the LTR
for a 20mA transformer.

The LTR value for a 15/30 is .008uF.  The capacitor I was referring to at
Electonrics Goldmine is a Phillips cap (.047uF 1600V) that looks very much
like thier 376 MMKP series that is on the good caps list but the pic isn't
clear enough to tell for sure.  I will try calling to verify this.  In
order to achieve the desired cap size I would need 3 strings of 18 of these
which would total .0078uF 29kv at $56.

If I were to use one of the CD caps the .1uF 942 series would require 1
string of 13 for .0077uF 26kV or the .15uF cap would require 1 string of 19
for .0079uF 38kV.  Out of these configurations, do any seem to have a
better price/reliability combination then the others?  If you suggest the
CD caps, where do you get these (RELL as suggested by Dave has a minimum
order or 67)?

Thanks again for all the help!
Hank

&gt;http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G15589&amp;variation=&amp;-