Re: Ballasting a Pole Pig (Revisited)

Original poster: Charles Brush <cfbrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Curt,

You don't by any chance have the pig wired in series with the welder's welding leads do you? It needs to be in series with one leg of the 220v ac line going into the welder. Otherwise I am stumped, but it sounds like something must not be wired right.

Zap!

Charles Brush

Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>

David,

I only have a 15A 220V circuit to play with, and am in
the process of getting the electrical upgraded.  I can
run the setup for longer periods with the welder set
to a lower current.  But at the lower currents the
voltage to the pig is essentially zero.  I have
verified and cleaned all of the hookups.

I'll try one of the other ballast methods and let the
list know what I find.

Curt.

 Original poster: "David Rieben"
 <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Curt,

 It sounds almost like you have a short circuit
 somewhere,
 as the welder should not be tripping breakers that
 quickly
 under any circumstances. What size is the circuit
 breaker
 that you're on and how big is your welder? I have
 person-
 ally never used an AC/DC welder for ballasting a
 pig, but it seems to
 me that it shouldn't be much different than using a
 straight AC one.

 Are you sure that you have the welder in SERIES with
 the in-
 put to the pig's LV inputs? Only 25 volts reaching
 the pig is
 certainly not right. I would definitely suspect
 either the hookup
 connections or the welder itself as the culprit in
 this situtation.
 Try using the 120 volt input winding of an
 MOT with its secondary shorted as a temporary
 ballast and simply feed
 your pig 120 volts and see if you get any
 output at all from the pig in this fashion. You
 could also use
 a 500 ft spool of #12 AWG THNN building wire from
 Home Depot or
 Lowe's as a ballast with 120 volts input to try this
 out. If you do
 get some output with your pig wired up in this
 fashion, then the
 problem is most likely that your welder is bad.

 David Rieben

 ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list"
 <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>