Re: Oil-insulated secondary?

Why bother? Air works excellent and you never get racing sparks unless you are overcoupled. Always keep the sec properly elevated above the pri and racing sparks just don't happen.

The only application might be a DRSSTC where tighter coupling seems desirable.

Dr. Resonance

Any do's/don't's out there for building one of these?
I've decided to build a new 8" secondary and thought
it might be cool, if possible, to construct it using
two concentric PVC tubes and then fill the space
between them with oil (which I find myself with a
surplus of).  I figured I'd place wooden dowels around
the inner pipe, then wrap the coil around those so
that the oil can almost completely surround the wire.
This, I would hope, would make the thing immune to
racing sparks.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is making an
oil-tight seal around the bottom lug (connected to the
bottom turn of the coil) so that I don't end up with a
big oily mess on my hands.  Thoughts on that?

aaron