Re: Ballasting a Pole Pig (Revisited)

Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>

Did the test tonight and had partial success.  With
220 into the HV bushings got 3.3V out of the low
voltage taps.  Hooking the 220V to the low voltage
inputs with no "coat hangers" on the HV bushings did
not trip the breakers.  Running with a gap and no
ballast was able to get a short flash in the gap
before the breaker tripped.

I do not understand why I did not see anything in a
similar experiment last night, perhaps bright exterior
lighting masked the arc.

So, it appears the pig is good, but my AC/DC welder
does not make an adequate ballast.

Thanks for all of the help, and would still appreciate
advice on ballasting this thing.  Going to try to get
my hands on a different welder for a try...

Thanks,

Curt.