Re: Critical rise time (RE: Terry's New Plane Wave Antenna)

Hi Leigh,

Actually, I really did mean the frequency "fo". I was speaking maybe a little too loosely and thinking in time domain not the fourier spectrum considering BPS repetition. My thinking for the question was confined to a single bang. Given that, the slope of a sine wave is a function of its frequency and (what I left out) its amplitude. My main question was trying to determine if the growth in the sinewave envelope (ringup) was the determining factor (affected by coupling) or just the slope of a single sinewave half cycle. It sounds like you are including the BPS info in the risetime definition. What I think I heard from the answer was the slope of a single half cycle is the determining risetime. Someone correct me if this is wrong.

Gerry R

Original poster: "Leigh Copp" <Leigh.Copp@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Just a thought with regard to the comment that "Rise time implies
waveform shape, that is "fo"." I think that you meant the frequency
-content-, and not fo.

The sum of the Fourier components of the wave each impart their own
contribution on the rise time. The bandwidth of the system can be
calculated as 0.35/risetime, but this would be the highest frequency
components only. Fo of the system, as has been well discussed in this
group, is 1/(2*pi*sqrt(L*C)). The higher order harmonics of the system
however, are what contribute to the "steepness" of the wave front. These
are going to be multiples of fo.

The current we are applying to our TC's is resonant at some fo and
modulated by our spark gap (which itself is very rich in 3nth order
harmonics) and it's own pulse rise time. Rotary spark gaps or SSTC's are
modulating by the break rate additionally.

If anyone is brave enough to apply the convolution theorem to that one
the actual system bandwidth can be expressed in terms of break rate and
fo.

Leigh