Re: MOT current

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

My DC coil gets pretty good output from a single small MOT with the shunts left in:

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/burnt/turbotriodal.jpg

I think that picture corresponded to a power level of about 2kW. I was using 37.5nF of tank capacitance and the DC bus voltage was probably around 9kV which would give a charging voltage of around 17-18kV. The gap motor died during that run, but I hope to get a new rotary gap built sometime.

This system uses a 4x voltage multiplier to give a nominal 10kV DC supply centre tapped to ground. I like this setup because the MOT core can be left grounded. The schematic is here

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/tc2schem.html

If I wanted to increase the power further I would just drive it off several MOTs in parallel.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com