Re: Cold Cathode Transformer

Hi Curt,

Cold Cathode transformers are simply higher output current transformers for the larger cold cathode tubes. No need to add an external ballast. Cold cathode tubes do not require the heating elements as neon tubes do, thus, they have immediate start up, can also be dimmed, and have long life. The tube is what is actually "cold cathode", and the transformer current simply needs to be capable of starting it.

Consider it a 15/120 NST (that's what it is, and nice to have!)

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>

I have the good fortune of recently purchasing a
15000V, 120mA "Cold Cathode" transformer made my
Transco.

The gentleman that I bought it from told me that Cold
Cathode transformes are not current limited.  I've
searched the list archives and have found a message
that states they *are* current limited.

So, here's the question, how can I tell if it is
current limited without damaging it?  Is there any
danger in drawing an arc and monitoring the current?

Thanks,

Curt.