Re: Cold Cathode Transformer

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 1/18/06 7:01:33 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Cold cathode tubes do not require the heating
>elements as neon tubes do, thus, they have immediate start up, can
>also be dimmed, and have long life. The tube is what is actually
>"cold cathode", and the transformer current simply needs to be
>capable of starting it.

I thought all neon lighting was cold cathode? I know some fluorescents are cold cathode - are these what you're thinking of? Not sure why anybody would want to dim neon (although a friend of mine did so for a display in his house, using a variac). 15kV seems like an awful lot of voltage to start a fluorescent bulb - don't they all contain, by definition, mercury vapor that the neon tube lacks? 120mA also seems on the a low side of running current for even a single fluorescent bulb?

-Phil LaBudde