Re: cornell or cornel? : )))

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

yeah guys - thanx for the pics, now i see that your caps are
practically the same sh#t like mine ones, though all pics that i`ve
seen were insufficiently detailed to make conclusions - see below what
i mean.

> Original poster: Vardan <vardan01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>man - what a cheap crap it is? they cost 2.6 buck each, but looks like
>>26 cent maximum,  heck - 5 years back they were better : D

> Hey!  It takes a long time to roll them up by hand :o))  But they are
> just poly and foil wrapped in a roll and held with tape.  Slosh
> solder and wire on the ends and they are done.

held with tape??? @#$% - that is my main concern, coz i thought that in
your mmc test the cap had plastic body! so my eyes are crap too, or
it was just my imagination? : )))
when i opened the box i saw guts of the cap just wrapped in a scotch
tape - i`ve never seen nothing more terrible during all my life (and i`ve
seen _many_ types of caps) : D
anyway - it seems that your cap are wrapped more evenly.

> If you don't like the DCE caps, you would not like the maxwells all
> glued together with belt sander marks and that cheap label that falls
> off after a year ;-)))

hey - they have a solid _body_ - this sh#t don`t.

> Here are a picture of some I have.  I left the picture big so you can see
> close detail.
> http://hot-streamer.com/temp/P3110018.JPG

hmmm - they look perfectly cylindrical (more thick scotch?), but there
is too much light on them, so small imperfections probably would be
lost in reflections. tomorrow i`ll make photos and you`ll understand
what i`m trying to say.

> Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

> Dmitry,

> While it is true that the type label of the Cornell caps look rather
> like prototype stuff, I guess we should be happy that they didn`t
> spend money on fancy packing: Cost more, dissipate heat less efficiently.

nooo, i disagree here - the cap should have a _body_ - what would be
if your own skin for example was 3 times thinner? this "economy" goes
too far imo, it`s dangerous - you can scrap or pierce this crappy simple
by inaccurate handling of them.
they don`t look professional - absolutely.

> Original poster: tesla popp <teslas_lab@xxxxxxxxx>

> WTF!?  that DOES look like crap!  My caps are
> beautiful.

yeah? do they have a _plastic_ body? can you shoot much closer? ;-)

> http://www.amasingscience.com/teslacoils/images/cd942big.jpg
> this is the box from C.D.

my box looks the same - can you show labels on the cover of the box?

> Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Looks like it's from the first batch of the original 942C caps (see
> labeling).

you mean the last two letters? i got "CA" on mine - what does it mean?

> Here's a pic of what my caps look like (ignore the  polyurethane
> spillage over the caps [pulled from an earlier "stupid"  idea])
> http://www.classictesla.com/photos/mmc/mmc4.jpg

Barton - probably your caps are more closely like mine from all i`ve
seen! heck, but my caps can`t be from the first batch : )

> My opinion (FWIW), is they are an early version of the 942C series
> and the internal's are fine, but I agree, their outer appearance is
> crap. If cosmetics are of concern

no cosmetics - only practical consideration - their durability in
general.

> Original poster: Vardan <vardan01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> The only question is,... did Dmitry get counterfeit parts...
> Their is also a chance he got "second rate" but stil very real parts
> they were trying to dump in Russia...

did you have any "sr" cap pics?
maybe they just were freezed during transportation, so the tape then
was warped a little? when i was going home today from the work, it was
-35 deg. C (-53 deg. F), but it`s not too bad : )))

-----
Let the bass kick! =:-D