Re: wiring for functionality or design

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>not for my
>personal safety, but those itchy fingers of a 15 month old

If you make sure the power is disconnected and all capacitors are discharged, any arrangement of wiring is "safe" to touch. (I assume you're not trying to make a coil that can safely be prodded by a toddler while it's operating, which is a far more worrying prospect.)

So rather than worrying about how to arrange the wiring, I would worry about making double sure the caps discharge by adding bleed resistors or similar. This has recently been discussed on the list in some detail, and we agreed that ordinary AC charging coils already have a discharge path through the transformer secondary, but bleed resistors add another path for redundancy. It can't hurt to put a shorting clip across the cap terminals either, when the coil is just sitting around.

Then you can worry about other stuff like making sure your coil has no sharp edges, is f ully chewable, etc.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/