Re: 48KWATT DRSSTC Warmup

Hi,

MMC are not really "power level limited". If you stay within the DC voltage (or just 100% over :o)) they will be fine ;-)) RMS current is a big factor. Going to 140% of the ratings is usually the limit, but newer caps seem to handle RMS current better. Just don't push peak current much!!

If one considers a 10 x 12 array of 14kV RMS and 12 x 13.5 amps RMS you get a "sustained and rated" 2,268,000 watts!!!! So from that point of view, 10kW is nuttin ;-)) An overrated "peak" power level comes out to say 30000V at 7300 amps for about 1/5th of a giga watt :)))

If they get warm, a fan will increase the air dissipation 500%. But it depends on the internal temperature. Poly caps can take a sustained temperature of 80C for a very long time. However, that is if internal heating is small. If the internal temp gets to about 100C, they will blow up...

But really, I would worry far more about the IGBTs than the caps ;-)) Judging from the looks of the coil, it will work perfect!!!

Cheers,

        Terry