RE: Capacitor plate eddy currents -- was: wiring for functionality or design

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi David:

The proximity to the primary and the differing top/bottom airflow are
both likely explanations.  I don't have any experience with coils the
size of yours, but I wouldn't expect the cap to generate that much heat,
so I would suspect eddy currents more.  Others with big-coil experience
may know better.

I did an experiment several years ago to investigate primary
proximity-related losses, by scoping differences in primary ringdown
times as a function of stuff brought near the primary coil.  The losses
were mapped to an equivalent ESR in the primary coil and I never made
any attempt to determine just how significant such losses were to
operation.  The only take-home message is that incremental losses were
measurable with NST's roughly a foot below the primary.
http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2000/November/msg00359.html

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA