Re: POPULAR ELECTRONICS, Jul. 1964, p29, 250KV TESLA COIL [voltage gain]

But Al,

Your two coils don't have the same geometry so they don't meet the requirement. (150mm and 300mm?).

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "alfred erpel" <alfred@xxxxxxxxx>

[edits for clarity]

Take a helical wound 150mm diameter primary with 15 turns positioned around
a helical wound 75mm secondary with 1500 turns.

This will have a different square root of ratio of inductances from a
helical wound 300mm diameter primary with 15 turns wound positioned around
the same 75mm secondary with 1500 turns.

These two conditions meet your geometry and turns requirement, but because
the inductances of the two primaries are different the [square root of ratio
of secondary/primary] gains ratio will be different.  What is missing from
your explanation?

Regards,

Al Erpel