Re: Toroid cores for GDTs

Hi Steve,

Being an "innocent bystander", I was wondering if trifilar is needed for GDT? Is screened wire pack the same as shielded wire pack? If so, maybe thin shielded twisted pairs would work and wrap nicely onto the toroid.

Gerry R.

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I would love to see a photo of something that is better than the trifilar wound toroids that I referred to.

James Pawson did a lot of work on this a couple of years ago and claims leakage inductances as low as 0.08 microhenries with about 450uH magnetizing inductance. The datasheet you posted claims 0.47uH with about the same magnetizing inductance. So amateur built GDTs can do about 6 times better than the LSE part.

http://thedatastream.4hv.org/gdt_prac.html

I don't know if the multifilar screened wire pack is a new idea. I have seen baluns made with coax but never multiple magnet wires stuffed inside a braided tube. If it is new, hopefully it was James or me who invented it ;-)

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/