XC affect on BALLAST current.

Hi All,

This issue has come up recently about the affect Cp has on the limiting current of a ballasted PIG. I just finished my toroid ballast and measured its limiting current to be 17 amps (on the largest 245 turn tap) with a 280V variace driving it (calculates out to 44mh). It took a much wider gap than expected to get the current up to this level but that is another story. I was thinking I would have to reduce the number of turns from 245 to a lower number to get the desired 25 amps. I have three taps on the toroid to get 25, 30, and 35 amps.

Tonight, I ran spice to see what effect driving the main Cp had on this current limit. First, I simulated the PIG (turns ratio of 60) driving just the Cp (2.9*Cres or 130nf) with no SRSG connected. This raised the current draw to 28.8 amps. Next, I connected the SRSG modeled for 120 BPS with the LTR Cp and the current draw went up to 30 amps.

In the SRSG model, the timing was adjusted for maximum firing voltage (24.4KV). The PIG output (HV side) was modeled with a 16800Vrms generator, a 158 h source inductor, and a 700 ohm source resistance. These parameters reflect driving the PIG with 280Vac, transfering the ballast inductance to the PIGs HV side, and both the LV and HV winding resistance (LV resistance transfered to the HV side).

Based on the simulations, I think it would be prudent to account for the reactance of the Cp load (transfered to the LV side) when designing your ballast limits. The extra boost in current, I believe, caused by after peak firing of the SRSG appears to not be as significant as the Cp load affect.

Gerry R.