Re: 48KWATT DRSSTC Warmup

For futher consideration, a .05 uF, 35 kV low inductance Maxwell cap discharging thru a RSG into a 5 turn copper tubing pri driving an 18 inch dia. sec measured at 2,300 Amps peak current on our model M-150 coil system.

With all those interconnecting wires the max current should be a function of the inductance of the capacitor having a "choke effect" on the current at RF frequencies.

Dr. Resonance

Thank you for bringing that idea up!

I think the .68uF 1600V caps (942C16P68K) look good.  9 in series
gives us a 14.4kV rating with .07555uF per string.  With 33 strings we
would achieve 2.493uF at 14.4kV.  The Irms is 528A and the Ipk is
25773A.  Ipk will never be a concern here, but Irms might become an
issue.  The cost (according to Richardson) would be $4.36*9*33=$1294.

Now, looking at the .15uF 2kv caps...  We would use strings of 7, and
require 117 parallel strings.  Irms is an astounding 1579.5A!!!  Ipk
would be 50.5kA.  But, the cost would be $2.58*117*7=$2113.  Quite a
bit more money, but we would have 3X the Irms rating.

I found that the Irms on my coil producing only 6 foot sparks was
about 70A.  I will have to put together a simulation of the 48kVA coil
to get a prediction of how great the Irms will be,  but i will make a
rough assumption right now.  Say the coil runs with 500uS bursts every
8.33mS.  Thats 6% duty cycle.  Say the peak current is MAX 3500A, that
makes the Irms for the actual burst time to be about 2500A.  So then
the RMS for the whole time might be something like sqrt((2500^2)*.06)=
612Arms.  And that is probably a "worst case" number since the Ipk
will not be 3500A the entire time, and we may not even need 500uS
bursts.  Also, there is reason to believe that larger coils can
operate at even lower break rates and still maintain great spark
lengths, so if we reduced to say 100bps or even 60bps we could expect
perhaps (by the same calculation) 560Arms or 433Arms respectively.
This suggests that the .68uF caps might *just*get us by, and that the
.15uF caps would give a way over-built bank.  Since Chris wants the
absolute highest reliability, and he is forking out the cash, id be
tempted to say that the .15uF caps would be the better choice.

Maybe there is some middle ground to be found with the other 1600V
variety...  but i certainly like the idea of a *very* overbuilt MMC.

Steve