From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2006 11:41 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Metal traces in PVC pipe?

Original poster: Daniel Hess <dhess1@xxxxxxxxxx>

Garry;

Reason I ask about the ferrous / non-ferrous is I'm wondering if what
you're seeing is copper from the coil winding that was redeposited
inside the PVC after a burn-through. Or are you finding these
metallic 'grains' in places where there was no damage to the coil?
This is bizarre!

Daniel Hess

Original poster: "Garry Freemyer" <garryfre@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Garry;

 >Are the metal fragments you found in the PVC ferrous or non-ferrous?
(See if they are attracted to a magnet or not.) Are you using the
blue-green sewer PVC or the white schedule 40 variety?

The bits are too small to determine their nature, the fragments are too rare
to be of any purpose and too small to detect, being smaller than a grain of
salt usually. It appears to be perhaps tiny shavings from some source,
perhaps from a saw that cuts the pipe into lengths and the bits occasionally
become lodged in the plastic before it hardens fully.

It's the white schedule 40 variety. Precious little else was available.

 >By any chance do you install insulating discs inside the coilform?
(To prevent internal arching?)

Normally I do, I thought I had done this with this latest form but this
time, I used silicone seal. I think I will be sure to put some insulating
disks within.

The holes do not go clear through the pipe. There are no burns within.

  >Original poster: "Garry Freemyer" <garryfre@xxxxxxxxxxx>

  >I've had three or more Tesla coil secondaries die from flaring out the
side
  >of the secondary coil. I've just finished an autopsy on the secondaries
and
  >discovered a bit of a surprise.

Daniel Hess