RE: Iron transformer positioning under the primary experiment

Hi Dan,

Smoking hot is about 150C, a MOT weighs 10 pounds, and a few minutes is 180 seconds. The specific heat of iron is 0.444 J/gK or 201.4 J/(pound-C). So we need 1400 watts going into the MOT over 3 minutes to raise the temperature 125C!! So it would have to take 60-80% of your 120VAC coil's power to do that!!

So buy first look, the numbers don't seem right unless I assumed something wrong or the coil's performance was vastly impacted.

Cheers,

        Terry