RE: Primary magnetic field plots

Hi,

At 09:40 PM 7/7/2006, you wrote:

As you can see from this photo, my MOT is well away from the coil, both
underneath and to the side.  And it still used to get smokin' hot after
running the coil.

http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/oldwebsite/images/vttc01_assembly10.jp

However, perhaps the field looks a bit different with a solenoid coil vs.
the pancake.

Wow!! I would never have thought that would happen. Perhaps something strange or not obvious is going on. It might just be saturating and heating when running the tube coil shown. I can't imagine how being near your DRSSTCIII would heat it up.

Anyways, regarding the "paid" version of Maxwell 2D, i own it, and its no
better than "free" version - same sucky interface, with just a few extras.

Wow!! ok ;-)) I won't "dream" that it is really better now. I think they sort of abandoned most of them since it is easier to do a full rewrite. But the older versions tend to have free student versions :-)))) It is not super bad once you get used to it.

Note, that you can import .dxf files etc... into Maxwell 2D which makes
modeling quite a bit easier.

We used solid works but they charge $100 for their "student version" =:O There was and EM thing on the pro version or maybe it was an add-on. Very nice modern easy interface but it was never close to free. The Ansoft thing has probably been more thoroughly proven out though.

Gerry,  As far as I can tell it just does fixed DC currents.

Cheers,

        Terry

Dan