Re: (OT-sorta) SHIPPING - Your Onto Something here....Re: pole xmfrs delivery

Original poster: Tom Perigrin <tip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 02:06 AM 7/9/2006, you wrote:
Original poster: "Jack King" <ekklekktikk@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Often times, a potential transaction (like say the aquisition of a massive power transformers) are prohibitive simply due to the high cost associated with freight...

I run a small business and I get a lot of our equipment through eBay. I've found frieghtquote.com to be very helpful in arranging frieght that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (just a half of an arm). Now, it often goes through several hands and may take a couple of weeks to get half-way across the USA, but you can have fast or you can have affordable (not both). I'm not saying it's going to be CHEAP... For example, a 1000 pound biological safety cabinet from phoenix to columbus ohio for about $400.

By the way, one way to hold down cost is to have it delivered to a business with a loading dock on your end. They charge a lot more for a truck with a lift gate to a residence. Once it's on the loading dock you can have a friend with a pickup truck help you, or get a auto wrecker with a roll-back do it for about $50. I use the local moving company's loading dock and they just charge me a few bucks.

I am not associated with frieghtquote.com, nor am I going to receive any recompense or discount for this comment.