Re: Ball Lightning Experiment - Don't try this at home

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

It might be better to build a vented "tank" if the lid keeps deforming. Build the vent as a labrinth to catch the fragments, and still allow venting of the blast. Check into pyrotechnic safes. They are built to handle detonation of the contents and still remain in one piece. They would be a good design to follow in construction of blast tanks for quartershrinkers and ect.

David E Weiss

 Hi Peter,

 Distance can be your friend but if you don't have that
 luxury, then a sturdy containment vessel is the next best
 thing. I use a containment vessel with solid 1/8" thick
 walls and a lid of the same with a 1/2" thick lexan "win-
 dow" through which the electrode leads pass. I discharge
 up to 20 kJ inside this vessel and the steel lid does bend
 from the blast and has to be bent back down with a large
 hammer after firing. Of course the lid must be secured in
 place to keep it from "blowing off" and is held in place by
 2 bolts with wing nuts.

 David Rieben