Re: Continuously variable primary

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh@xxxxxxx>

For those following this, I've yet another set of changes, on
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/TCHTUN4.JPG
And thanks once again to Terry.

I have a) gotten rid of the necessity to "pyramid" the coil spiral, b) doubled up on the coil, for diminished resistance, c) simplified the means for attaching the coil(s) and d) improved the contact-pressuring mechanism.

The contact assembly now slides, flat, on the drive disk (which is fixed to the driving shaft). The contacts are curled over at their business-ends so that they well-clear the inner turns of the coil. The entire coil assembly now floats on the drive shaft. It's restrained in lateral motion by being confined inside the (not shown) bucket, and it's pulled against the contacts by 4 tension springs connected between it and the "near" plate. The near plate is to mount, as always, on an existing flange in the bucket.

The coils are to be attached using long 1/8"-diameter aluminum/steel-pin pop rivets. And I'll likely add flat washers & lock washers just for additional assurance of good holding pressure.

The motor-driving assembly (which I've not worked out yet) will mount on the "near" plate with standoffs and will connect to the driving shaft via a flex coupling.

Although the weak area is still, I think, the contacts, at least I've improved the means of providing the force to keep them firmly against the coil.

KCH