Hybrid SG/SISG idea? "IGBT-Assist Spark Gap"?

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The main benefit of the SISG appears to be its very
low loss compared to a conventional spark gap.
However for higher voltages, it seems like the part
count goes up pretty quick.  Would the following be
possible (don't beat me if not, I'm a computer nerd,
not an EE ;-)) ...

Goal #1: Common drive for all the IGBTs so that a
bunch of capacitors, resistors, and TVSs are
eliminated.

Goal #2: Get rid of *all* the SIDACs.

Not sure about Goal #1, but it seems doable.  It just
means you'd have to scale some of the components
according to how many IGBTs you'd be driving, right?

As for Goal #2, how about using a spark gap?  Replace
the SIDACs with a spark gap having a high series
impedance such that there is insufficient current to
cause quenching problems.  When the spark jumps, it
would charge the IGBT drive cap just like in the
current SISG design.  Then, when the IGBTs go into
conduction, the voltage across the gap would be
suddenly near-zero, further eliminating quenching
concerns.  For added coolness, this trigger gap could
be adjusted to vary the firing voltage without
sodering, disconnecting things, etc.

This "hybrid" of the SISG and conventional gap might
substantially reduce part count while retaining most
seemingly-critical element:  The IGBTs.

Any thoughts?  Am I smokin', or could this work?

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE