Re: buying a pole pig

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

12470Y refers to the phase-to-phase voltage in a
three-phase "Y" configuration.  Not interesting to
you, really.  7200V is what you should see between the
two HV bushings when you put 240V in on the LV side.

7200V is a little low, but probably ok with a rotary
gap.

As for "Orto", that is a little concerning.  Google
turns up lots of references to "non-orto" and
"mono-orto" PCBs...don't know if that means "Orto" and
"PCBs" are synonymous or not, but I'd definitely take
a closer look.  The transformer does appear to be
pretty old.  Forestry Suppliers Inc sells Dexsil 50ppm
PCB test kits for about $20.  Before that, however,
you could try the "burn test" prescribed by Dr. R.  If
it doesn't burn, you might simply dismiss it as PCB.
If it *does* burn, it might still be worth a PCB test
to make sure it isn't above 50ppm.

I used one of the Dexsil PCB test kits on my first
pole transformer (which happily turned out to be
PCB-free).  They're a little cumbersome to use (lots
of steps!) but my peace of mind is worth $20 to me ;-)

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE