Re: A new mini-coil competition winner!

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Try measuring the current draw from the wall. With 18" streamers the cap is almost certainly resonating with the nst. Probably drawing 3x (or more if you widen the gap a bit and the nst can take it) more than the 4/36 nst would have you think.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: A new mini-coil competition winner!

Original poster: "Karl L." <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry, everyone:

Perhaps I am missing something here, but I do not see how my new mini-coil could be charging to a firing voltage of 15.6 kV as suggested. I built this coil expressly to enter in Gary Laus' competition here: http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/minicoilcontest/ using the same equipment as the other entries. As Gary mentioned in his earlier post, the only real difference between my coil and the others is the much larger and longer secondary, and matching higher inductance primary. The gap is similar to the other entries in design and spacing. This coil begins to fire smoothly at an input voltage of only 26 VAC and output scales nicely as the variac is turned up to 100% The smooth sphere reduces all of the energy wasting small streamers that typically come off of a rougher topload. I use a 1/4" rounded acorn nut to direct the streamers and prevent breakout from the top winding of my secondary. (Yes, I know spheres do not shield the secondary as well as toroids, but it was easier and cheaper this way.)

I got the 47 watt coil figure from ScanTesla, which also said I could only expect 6.4" streamers. Obviously there is something funny going on here as I measured 18 1/8" streamer hits to a metal frame around a cork board which was not directly grounded. Could you (or anyone else) look over my coils specs found here: http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/minicoilcontest/karllindheimer_cat1.htm. and see why my ScanTesla calculations are so off?

Here is the ScanTesla output for my coil:

ScanTesla  V-7.50  May 31, 2006  Terry Fritz
Goal =        0.058516730  maximum Load Energy
Model Number = 641
Goal Number = 111
Cprimary (nF) =   25.000