Re: Optimum turns on sec of classic type Tesla coil

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Bart was getting 58 inch sparks with 12/60 NST driving a 895 turns #24 AWG coil on 4 inch ID PVC (4.5" OD) running with a 6 gap stationary sparkgap and .0188 uF MMC (16 pcs in series). That's great performance!

Sounds similar to yours only you are running 6.5 inch OD coilform.

Dr. Resonance

I used #24 enamel coated copper wire. I still have two 90 lbs rolls. I used #24 only because I have lots of it. It would be interesting to do the same experement using a different size wire. I am not really sure the 900, 950, 1000 turns actually proves anything. My book says 950 turns of #24 is 20.5 inches long. A 6" PVC pipe measures about 6.625 inches on the outside diameter. 20.5 inches divided by 6.625 inches = a ratio of 3.094. It could be the Diameter to Length ratio is the KEY to this experement not the actually number of turns on the coil.

Vanderbelt University in Nashville Tennessee did a lot of research on Tesla Coils from about 1975 to 1982. They claimed the best diameter to length ratio for any given TC is 3 to 1 ratio. That puts my experement in the ball park.

Gary Weaver