Re: Holy Crap!

Original poster: Russell L Thornton <Russell.L.Thornton@xxxxxxxx>

Hi all,
I am reading some of the descriptions of ball lightning here and getting a little confused as to what I understood it to be. My Dad has told me of his witnessing a ball of lightning hitting the ground, on the farm he grew up on in N. Dakota, and rolling into the barn and catching stuff on fire. He is not one I associate with making up stories but I have always kind of classed this one up there with sitting on top of telephone poles after the snow and walking up hill to school both ways. Having said that, I travel I-95 twice a day here in central Florida, known for liquid sunshine and lots and lots of lightning. One day traveling home I witness a strike to a power pole over a mile ahead of me and a huge (it must have been huge from the distance) sphere of light remained on the cable and traveled across the cable at a relatively slow rate. It lasted so long that, if I had a camcorder I would have had plenty of time to reach down, turn it on, aim and still capture several seconds of it.
Now, here is my question:  Was what I saw ball lightning?

Russ
Monitoring lightning at the Cape