Re: Holy Crap!

Hi Russ,

While it could have been ball lightning, it was more likely that what you saw was an electrical arc that the lightning stroke initiated between one of the phases and a nearby ground wire (such as the one at the top of poles for protecting the power lines underneath). Once initiated, a phase to ground arc can persist for quite some time before stopping either by being self extinguished, or by eventually tripping an upstream ground fault detection relay (a 3-phase version of a home GFI or arc fault detector... but on steroids).

Bert"

I used to see something similar that when I lived in Washington, DC many years ago (1945-7). I lived in Anacostia, across the river from town and the streetcar line on Pennsylvania SE was a couple of miles away. The streetcars at that time used "plough" running in a tunnel underground and midway between the two rails. When it snowed and the snow froze in the opening to that tunnel (I don't think Washington clears away snow even to this day, apparently in the belief it will never snow again in spite of lots of experience to the contrary and "why not give the government workers another day off") the ploughs would sometimes break off causing an arc to start between the two conductors in the tunnel. When this happened the arc could travel for miles, sometimes even reflecting at the SE terminal of the tracks. The result was a brilliant blue-green glow in the clouds which travelled along the horzon! Although I saw the "lights in the sky" several times I never saw the thing up close but the description above came from a engineer friend of mine who saw it more than once as he waited for the car.
Apparently from that view the thing was really spectacular.

Phenomenon was sort of a cross between a horizontal Jacob's ladder and a rail gun.

Ed