Re: wire lengnth

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

The wire length is not that critical as long as it falls within a certain range for the number of turns. The larger the dia. of the secondary coil the more potential (voltage) your coil will achieve although plasma based on input power is really a better indicator of spark length (Freau equation). Most experimenters plan on using 1000 to 1400 turns on either a 4 inch or 6 inch dia. (ID) white PVC tube for excellent performance with a copper tubing subdivided sparkgap.

Contact me off list and I can email you the plans for a nice performing coil using a 4 inch ID PVC tube. It runs on a 12 kV 60 mA neon sign transformer and produces sparks over 4 feet long. A nice lightweight portable coil for home or school use.

Dr. Resonance

How do you calculate the length of wire I use to make my secondary coil?What's the formula?
Thanks gang