Re: Holy Crap! WOW, that's the origin of quarter-shrinking!

Hi,

We gave it a try tonight. Due to time and equipment we were only able to really fire once at 5400V at 60e-6 Farad. It made a big orange flash but no real fireball yet. The chalk tube blew apart but not terribly violently or loud. We were at 875 joules and the water seems to take most of the "bang" out of it.

A strong small ceramic tube could probably survive the shock. We were thinking a ceramic standoff could have the glazing ground off for it. The tube is probably very well sealed at the bottom but still allowed to fill with water. The top of the tube is probably just at the surface of the water. McMaster or Ohmega might have unglazed tubes too.

The magnitude of the flash seemed about what one would expect. If it were 7X more, that would probably be about right to match the pictures and movie of the real one.

So we seemed real close but did not have it quite right yet. The cap bank could go up to 18kJ if it had too in the future.

One real problem is the SISG. If fired perfectly "once" but I never stopped to think what 800+ joules might do to it. All the IGBTs are shorted. Seems 100X its pulse rating is "too high". Easy to fix, but that leaves us with no reliable switch for the fireball thing... Don't know how to solve that yet.

Bill's info here is very interesting ;-) But for now, we had to use what we had on short notice.

Cheers,

Terry