Re: exploding wire

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Wow! 103kJ is massive and incredibly dangerous. Yours really is up into the sticks of gelignite range of explosive equivalent. All my caps together are 38kJ but different voltages. My largest single shot was still only 5kJ and that is not good to be close. Another word of caution is that you need to watch peak currents. My Maxwells are rated for 100kA (peak or fault). With my 3 parallel caps the rating is 300kA if the current was shared equally. I have gone up to 80kA and possibly higher. You can't just short circuit these big caps without going above their ratings. Also ratings include voltage reversal. My Maxwells are rated at 80% but the Aerovox caps are physically smaller with higher energy but rated at 20% only which is easily exceeded in can crushing.
Peter
http://tesladownunder.com/

Original poster: "Paul Marshall" <klugmann@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I have a 25kv 330uf cap bank (103,000 joules) I wonder how big a wire I could use..
Paul S. Marshall