Re: ScanTesla7.62 :-))

Hi dest,

At 11:25 AM 6/17/2006, you wrote:
> Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx

>  >i wonder at what values of R and C he`ll arrive, if i give to him
>  >plot of I(t) in discharge of our big marx guy : D

>      I'd be curious, too. But would the streamer capacitance be any
> more than a tiny fraction of the capacitance of your Marx bank?

i don`t have such data at hands, but i know that for 150m spark
erected marx capacitance was 50nF, V=5MV, so total bank charge was
0.25C.

Wow!!  That's 625000 Joules/bang!!!!!

charge density in the spark channel was about 100uC/m, so total
embedded leader charge was about %6 of the initial marx charge - tiny
fraction? voltage across leader channel can`t exceed 5MV, so from
C=q/V i can conclude [very roughly and probably even incorrect % )]
that final leader capacitance can`t be smaller than 3nF.
compare it with 7pF (spark) vs 50pF (top) for my 2KVA TT.

If we take my 2pF (modern) number that is about 1nF. I am not sure DC can be compared to AC well here and my 2pF thing is just and "average".

I wonder if the "voltage" affects the capacitance too? if we assume say 3MV/m radius. Then the 5MV streamer might have 14X the radius of a 350000V streamer. I 'think' its capacitance is a natural log function so ln(14) = 2.64 or 5.278pF/foot.

5.287pF/ft x 492 feet = 2.60nF There is nothing to back that logic up, but it is interesting... At least the numbers are in the same magnitude range. A 500 foot long streamer too might be affected by capacitance to ground more were I assume the streamer is in mostly free space. If voltage does affect streamer capacitive radius, that would be a new factor and easy to add. Hmmmm.....

is "Vardan" your nickname? if so, i have better one for ya - "the
best" - _bleeding _edge _scientist _Terry : D

:-)))

Vardan is the name of the only "good spammer" I know of:

http://mosnews.com/news/2005/07/25/spammerdead.shtml

This mail address keeps getting on spam lists so I was trying to scare them :o))

you see - nothing was really "invented" here - there was no
possibility for mmc design for example, until needed type of caps
arrived at the market, the same about oltc/drsstc/etc - this is just
examples of implementing modern technology, not any "breaking
through"s : )

We mostly adapt what is "known" to our Tesla coils and spend a lot of time "myth busting". We have come a long way in the last say 5 years especially compared to the previous 90... Today we have a lot of really bright people on the list who are very good at applying "science" to the art. Our "catching up" to modern times is going very fast now! We now have a lot of solid state stuff, just like being back in the 1970's again :o))

all these years on this tcml - _tesla coils_ mailing list you guys were
busy with learning _tesla coils_ - NOT sparks. and now you achieved
such level of understanding, that "coils" itself have no any further
interest even for such beginners as me - there is no great
problems/mysterys left, except for maybe stuff like racing sparks : D

It seems to me that the technology just keeps getting applied faster and faster instead of slowing down!!! The sparks themselves are sort of a small part of it all here. But we are finding more and more about them.

Like Bill Gates said in 81 "640k is more memory than anyone will ever need" (he denies saying that, but he is lying :o)) Or "Two years from now, spam will be solved..." (Jan 24, 2004).

Maybe we can add "now you achieved such level of understanding, that "coils" itself have no any further interest even for such beginners as me - there is no great problems/mysterys left" :o))

I think Tesla coils will only be solved when they are so "obsolete" no one wants one any more. That 492 foot Marx generator sure looks promising!! I keep waiting for the old one to show up on Ebay... :-)))

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/SiberianResearchInstituteofPowerEngineering/highvoltage30.JPG

you had all you need for this even
7 years back.
maybe such work is going off list, in the another dimension or planetary
system as you noticed recently, but being here i have seen no more
than 0.001% of postings on this subj - it`s a way too little : )))
so i`m leaving this _tc_ml now - bye, and "see you on the other side"
: )

We wish you all the best!! I hope you find the truth to the sparks and let us know too!! You may want to check:

www.4hv.org

They might know more there. I only follow the Tesla coils there though :-) Have to figure out the ball lightning too... The recent report was more than we had seen in decades!! But not sure it is the whole answer yet... We keep waiting for someone to have a lab full of them floating around the room and the method so we all can do it too. That will probably happen "soon" now... Someone will figure it all out and will all wonder "why didn't I think of that...".

Cheers,

        Terry