OT: help with motor run capacitor sizing

Original poster: David Speck <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Terry,

May I ask the EE types on the list for a little help with a not quite TC item.

I have a number of two coil motors, some of them steppers, that I would like to use as simple AC motors by wiring them as capacitor run motors. One winding would run directly across the power supply, and the other winding would run in series with an AC cap to provide a phase shift. Is there a formula that would suggest the optimum run capacitor value based on the inductance of the windings, or the current draw through one winding at their rated voltage?

Thanks in advance.

Dave