Re: Circuit Analysis: DRSSTC

Original poster: acmq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi All,
>
> Is their a primary circuit schematic and waveform set that defines
> the quintessential DRSSTC?  Searches of pupman archives seem to hint
> at resonant primary switching, with relatively long (>>6 cycles)
> dwell times -- similiar in nature to a resonant-mode converter.
> I had originally thought that the DRSSTC uses a full-wave bridge, in
> a hard switch-mode approach (square primary voltage waves, ramped
> primary current waves, sinusoidal secondary V&I waves.)
>
> I'm currently running a batch of simulations in Simplorer, and wanted
> to further characterize the relative efficiencies and drawbacks of
> various primary switching topologies.
>
> Best Regards,
> Greg

I did some research about the behavior of DRSSTCs some time ago. The
results, along with a design and simulation program, are in:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/sstc.html
My main objective was to make the DRSSTC configuration produce waveforms
similar to the ones in a classical Tesla coil, charging the secondary
capacitance with maximum efficiency, supposing that the energy stored
there would be the main source of energy for sparks (or any other use).
The theory about how to do this in lossless conditions is complete. See
here:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/drsstc.html
The design program also implements this design.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz