Re: Tesla 150th celebrations in Australia

Original poster: <davep@xxxxxxxx>

>>I didn't see the play in question, but the Boston Museum of Science
>> puts on a pretty awesome high voltage show in their "Theatre of
>>Electricity". Along with the actual electrical show, they put on a
>>separate one man short play that recounts the life and work of Nikola
>> Tesla.

> The Van de Graff machine they use originally powered an electron
> accelerator at MIT; they combined both domes, but in its original
> configuration, it made opposite polarities, for twice the bang!
     Arguably this is getting close to HVList time. however....
     1) vdG machines were developed, in part, after experimenters
        were unsucessful aaplying Tesla Coils.
     2) the 'bang' above is figurative: when running an accelerator
        a vdG does not 'spark': thats for the tourists.  Likely, a
        Tesla coil 'Transmitter' in working mode would also be run
        under breakout.  (if it worked at all, but thats another
        discussion...8)>>)
     3) SOMEplace, but 'buried' I have a copy of the MIT student's
        paper describing the controls (now superceded) when the
        machine was transferred to MoS.

    best
     dwp