Re: Re: OT: help with motor run capacitor sizing

Original poster: <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Dave

I thought I would check again oops I forgot to subtract the L from the C winding

so C = L/(R^2 - (2*pi*f*L)^2) where f is the frequency.

I thought it would have a 2*pi*f in it.
I noticed the problem with the two extremes
if R> ZL(impedance of the L) in the direct winding, the current is in phase with the voltage so the winding with the C must have most of the supply voltage across the C to get the phase shift so you will need a lot more volts to get the right current. if ZL>R in the direct winding the current is lagging 90deg with the voltage so the winding with the C must cancell the L to leave mostly R so the current is in phase with the voltage. The voltage will have to be reduced significantly to avoid over heating.

This suggests if ZL is near R you may get away with the same volts on both windings.

Bob