To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 7:33 AM
Subject: RE: HV meter

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
The 40kV HV probes often seen on eBay are usually rated only for DC
measurements.  I've not tried them on AC, and would be concerned that
their very high resistance is not compensated for AC use, and may
deliver misleading results.  Has anyone else tried these probes on 60Hz
AC?
If you only need to measure a HV transformer, it's best to simply
measure your mains voltage, apply 120VAC to the secondary, measure the
resulting primary voltage, and calculate the stepup/down ratio.
Gary Lau
MA, USA