x-ray transformers - was Re: Power factor correction

Aaron,

I use a 125 kVp, 500 mA rated x-ray transformer to power my Jacob's ladder. You are correct in that an x-ray transfor-
mer should NOT be operated completely open circuit on its
secondary, high voltage output. However, beyond that little
caveat, x-ray trannies, at least the old 60 hz input style ones,
are NOT fragile! Since >100 kV can easily jump several inches, a typical Jacob's ladder setup will NOT overtax the internal insulation of an x-ray transformer, unless your closest approach of the rails where the arc starts is over a foot apart!
I can run mine drawing 80 to 100 ballasted amps, at
around 200 volt input for as long as I please without being
able to "feel" noticable warmth above ambient temperature by touching the outer tank case of the transformer. And it's
nice to be able to "self start" the arc at the bottom without
needing a capacitor or a sharp point, or having to "stick" something across the electrodes to start the arc, as is often
the case with sub-20 kV voltages. The big disadvantages of
typical 60 hz input x-ray trannies with 100 to 150 kVp at 300 mA or more output is that they are very heavy (usually well over 300
lbs and often in the 500 to 800 lb range), they require exter-
nal ballasting, you must have the matching Federal male
receptacle plugs with cables to access their HV output,
and you will need to open them up and remove the internal
rectifier diodes to use them as a Jacob's ladder driver
( this requires an engine hoist or ratchet hoist and is an oily
mess), as the short circuit currents, even ballasted, will eventually burn out the diodes. And while you have it opened up, you might
as well go ahead and remove the low voltage filament transformer(s)
and their associated wiring as they will just be extra dead weight for this purpose. So an x-ray trannie powered Jacob's ladder makes for quite an impressive climbing arc but they are a bit
of a pain tio set up and they atr NOT portable!

David Rieben