Re: the back of secondary winding

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Air insulation is fine. Oil insulation is not necessary and sealing the bottom is usually a problem not to mention the heavy extra weight of an oil insulated secondary. Sealing up the bottom is not easy but Terry Blake of Chicago has hauled a few oil-filled secs to our Teslathon --- he seems to have found a good method of sealing them up.

Avoid handling the coil excessively with your bare hands --- the salts in the skin oil can be a problem --- conductivity issues.

In this case, as most, it usually is not possible to say the exact cause of failure. Any trapped air bubbles or materials having a different dielectric constant can lead to local corona which produces heat and eventual failure.

Fiberglass coatings are unnecessary --- a good specialty insulation such as Dolph's will handle the job without problems.

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

(great thread; I was wondering about this myself)

I was watching a friend's coil this weekend, and his
secondary suffered an interesting yet unfortunate
fate:  All of a sudden, a bright spot of light
appeared on the side of the secondary.  After turning
off the coil and approaching, it was observed that a
nice little hole had burned in the winding.  It did
not appear to have resulted from a strike or racing
sparks or anything quite so obvious.

His secondary was coated with fiberglass.  One
possibility I was thinking of was that an air bubble
allowed corona to form near that point, and because it
was trapped, that corona became very hot very quickly,
eventually burning through the windings.  Is that a
possibility?  I had never thought about using
fiberglass before, and I wonder if the viscosity is
such that it would tend to trap air rather easily,
thus welcoming issues such as this.

Anyway, this made me wonder if coating a coil might
actually be *more* apt to produce failures than not
coating it.  I have also often wondered about making
an oil-insulated secondary.  That is, take a piece of
PVC and use a threading jig on a lathe to cut coarse
threads in the PVC in the opposite direction as the
coil would be wound (so the wire doesn't actually go
into the threads).  Wind the coil on this threaded
PVC, then immerse the whole assembly in a
larger-diameter pipe filled with transformer oil.  The
threads will ensure that the oil gets in behind the
windings, making them impervious to corona.  Hmmm...

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE