Capacitor

Original poster: "Hajdrowski, Leo T." <leo.hajdrowski@xxxxxxx>

Hi All,

One quick question.

I just finished helping my son build a coil:

15 kv, 60 ma nst with full wave rectification
Secondary 10.5" x 30" #22GA wire
Primary 3/8" 10 turns copper tubing flat coil - 1/2" spacing between
winds
1" spacing between primary and secondary
First windings of secondary approximately 1" above primary.
Stationary spark gap with 1/4" spacing
20 amp variac
30" dia. Torroid
(2) .22uf 90KV capacitors in parallel (They came from an X-Ray machine
and are about 4" dia. X 18" long).

We only get about an 8" spark and no corona.....it doesn't appear to be
high frequency, more like a step-up xfmr.

Is too much capacitance bad?

Thanks...Leo