RE: design for new capacitor

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Many years ago I built a pair of 450pF caps for an R-C NST protection
network, using some double-sided .09" thick copper-clad G10.  The
dielectric thickness was more than adequate (especially since each cap
saw only half of the tank voltage), but near-heroic measures were needed
to keep arcing from occurring at the edges of the plates.  Any insulator
will surface-track much, much further than its normal stand-off
distance.  I ended up needing at least a 1.25" clearance zone on both
sides around each plate, which took quite a bit of the available plate
area.  Stacking the several needed plate assemblies was difficult and
complicated by needing to be encased in oil or Vaseline jelly to prevent
corona at the plate edges, despite the clearance zone.

If you're a glutton for punishment, have fun, but if you just want a cap
to work the first time and keep working, build an MMC, using proven
polypropylene pulse-grade caps.  If you must choose the lowest cost
option, use salt water/glass bottle caps.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Original poster: "Dr. Adriano Mollica" <adriano.mollica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hello list,
>
> i just bought on ebay a certain quantity of douple faces copper fiber
glass
> plate for very cheap.
>
> i will like to use them to make a capacitor, and i believe that it is
> possible.
>
> But i'm worring about the design. infact, every single plate is
already  a
> little capacitor "as is",  and if  i'm right , the thickness of the
> fiberglass will be 1.6 mm, that is very big (this will lead to a high
> punture voltage resistance , but low capacity).
> So , how should i connect the plates one to another in parallel
> cinfiguration trying to avoid any "corona" , and external spark? and
so on,
> considering that the plates will be in a number of 20-40 and i cannot
> overlap them due the double face!!!
>
> Any ideas?
>
> bye bye

The