Re: Noob Question

Original poster: Jared E Dwarshuis <jdwarshui@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi: Ben

The only time I have gotten multiple streamers is when I neglected to
use a thumbtack for a breakout point on the top end capacitor.

Also it is possible to get multiple breakouts on a very rough surfaced
top end capacitors with a tiny radius of curvature.
(I dont think this applies to you)

High voltage can cause insulation failures around fittings on the tank
circuit components. This often represents an intermittent short that
quickly becomes a full time short. Look for spider web tracks along
the surfaces, they are soot black and grow over time. They cannot be
sanded away, they are both external and internal to the plastic.

You can also get surface tracking on the inside of your spark gap
housing. Generally this means that you need more room for parts. If
you put fittings close together, high voltage will find a way to
travel through insulators that one would normaly consider bulletproof.
Glass parts are a great example, put 15,000 volts across a pane of
glass and it shatters from the heat of conduction as the high voltage
blasts right on through.

Avoid primary strikes, they kill transformers and capacitors alike. If
you get a primary strike you must stop immediatly and change things
before you destroy your tank circuit.   (I got a whole box full of
expensive burnt proof)

Sincerely: Jared Dwarshuis