Re: How To Measure NST Coupling

Hi,
To correct a typo mistake in my own. The NST is a 12/60, not a 12/30. Sorry.

Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Dmitry,

Regarding L and R measurements. I recently built a voltage divider for HV measurements. Works nice and complete with calibration potentiometer prior to measurements. Anyway:

Rs = 4620 ohms
Rp = 0.48 ohms
Ls = 4185.5 H
Lp = 0.4052 H
measured turns ratio is 101.64

These numbers are as of last night with finer detailing of my NST. In previous simulations, Cres was 78 Hz for a 13.3nF cap (which is normally the Cres value for a 12/30 NST at 60 Hz). Since the finer detail of L, R, and k measurements, Cres is now simulating at 59.6 Hz (much better!).

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Dmitry,

> Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> how could you know that it`s fine - have you compared it with any other
> 100% valid method? : )

It is.

>  > Here's a graph of the data in case anyone is interested.
>  > http://www.classictesla.com/temp/k_nst1260.gif
>
> wow - 3 digits after the decimal point - do you really believe that this
> method can give such accuracy? % )

3 decimals on that particular measurement is fine. My simulations were
off, and I troubleshot back to NST coupling as the problem. I was using
0.955 as a generalization. I calc'd that it should be 0.93, and this is
why I measured it to verify (it was very close).

> can you post such parameters as Rsec and Lsec of your nst? : )

Yes, but I'll get back to you on that. I'm at work and don't have the
numbers with me.

Take care,
Bart